'Atlas Infernal' Reviews


More positive reviews for Atlas Infernal are rolling in and it is a real pleasure for me to give them extra pixel-inches here. The following is from a reviewer with the evocative name DemonicTalkin on the Lisburn Gaming Club forum.

“Atlas Infernal recently released by Rob Sanders features Inquisitor Bronislaw Czevak. Recently escaped from the Black Library he plays a dangerous cat and mouse game deep in the Eye of Terror both with the mysterious Eldar Harelquins and the arch sorcerer Ahzek Ahriman.

This book was bought by myself on a whim and all I can say is that I am very glad I bought it. The characters are very well realised and are a welcome addition to the 40k universe. Not wanting to spoil things too much I will say that it is always nice to see another daemonhost; what can I say I'm a radical at heart.

The plot is fast paced and while there are a couple of shifts back and forwards in the chronology it is separated enough not to confuse. One aesthetic I really like is that the chapters are split into acts with characters announced in almost a stage direction way; very much in keeping with how the harlequins exist in the universe.

Also I was pleasantly surprised to see how well Ahriman's portrayal was written. There has been a tendency for Chaos Marines to be rather one-dimensional panto-lite villians (see battle for the abyss and the blood angels omnibus) and it was good to see that Ahriman was treated well (even if Rob Sanders seems to like the word cerulean just as much as Mr Abnett likes wet leopard growls).

One thing I would hasten to add however is that if you are a total newcomer to the 40k universe I would recommend starting with something a little less immersed as it is a little in-depth. A good example of this is a discussion mentioning the various inquisitorial factions which could go over the head of a newcomer.

All in all this is a very good introduction to Inquisitor Czevak and having read the short story in the BL chapbook for this year I hope it is not the last.

Score: 9/10

Verdict: BL writes inquisitors damn well.”

Big thanks to DemonicTalkin for reading Atlas Infernal and taking the time to review the novel. The Lisburn Gaming Community can be found here.

No comments: